Author Topic: Turn $451 a Month Into a Million Bucks  (Read 1398 times)

ice

• MSR Council
  • MSR Members
  • Test Group
Turn $451 a Month Into a Million Bucks
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »
I read this article this past weekend and thought I would share it with you. I have been doing something like this for the last 8 years on my own. It’s hard to get started, I mean giving up that much $$$ each month is hard for a lot of people, but after a few months you adjust and find ways to cut corners.

The article below tells you how and where to cut corners in order to spare the extra $$$, but the bottom line is that if you can spare $451 a month, put it into a 401K or some other savings that will give you at least 8% interest each year then in 30 years you will have your million.

It’s never too late to start, I started when I was 28 and if I continue to put $432 each month by the time I am 60  I will have over 1 million dollars. That is not counting  Pension and any other investment I have made.

It’s not hard….just look read below and try and educate yourself on ways to cut corners…there are out there you just need to find them.

If you're 30 years old, you need to set aside $448 per month for next 35 years to become a millionaire -- if you earn a reasonable 8% annualized return in a retirement account. Don’t have $448 to spare -- or even $248? Maybe you do and don't realize it. Let's take a look at how you can come up with the cash.

Save $219 Per Month on Taxes

Here’s How: The average refund for the 2008 filing season so far is about $2,500. If you received an average refund and you are in the 25% federal tax bracket, you could be entitled to three extra exemptions worth $3,500 each. That would boost your take-home pay by $219 a month. A couple of reasons you might be eligible for more exemptions: becoming a new parent or buying a house.

Here’s How: Bring your lunch and snacks to work. Considering that the average meal at McDonald’s costs $5 and Dunkin’ Donuts charges $2 for a large cup of coffee, the brown-bag windfall can be substantial.

Save $80 Per Month on Entertainment

Here’s How: We're talking about one fewer dinner-and-a-movie night every month. That assumes you and your significant other pay the average $33 per person for a restaurant meal (according to a recent Zagat survey) and that you spend $7 per ticket, the average price at the movies (according to the Motion Picture Association of America).

Save $28 Per Month on Health Care

Here’s How: The typical family spends $1,321 on out-of-pocket health expenses each year, says the U.S. Department of Health and Human Serv¬ices. You can pay those costs with a flexible spending account, which lets you set aside pretax dollars.

Save $10 Per Month on Auto Insurance

Here’s How: The average consumer pays $829 annually for car insurance, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Raising your deductible from $250 to $1,000 can save you 15% or more.

Visit the Banking & Budgeting Center

Save $8 Per Month on a Well Maintained Car

Here’s How: Keep your car’s engine tuned and tires inflated to the proper air pressure. Those minor improvements can save you up to $100 on gas each year.

Save $6 Per Month on Generic Non-Pre.scription Medicines

Here’s How: The average American spends $185 annually on over-the-counter medications. Generics cost up to 40% less than their brand-name counterparts and work just as well.

$451 Saved in Total!

Invest the found money every month in a retirement account that earns an average of 8% return over the next 35 years, and you'll have $1 million. That wasn't too hard, right?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »
Hello Ice,
Man I need you as my financial advisor.Ive Been trying to do a little something like that,for a while.It makes total since"save for the future".

Have a great day,thanks for the info

Nick"RC51"

ice

• MSR Council
  • MSR Members
  • Test Group
Re: Turn $451 a Month Into a Million Bucks
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »
with the way the economy is going and the way the US throws the tax payers $$ out the door you need to look at your future....

There will be no Social Security checks for us when we retire...so you need to do something else....

I recently left a job in the private industy where I made excelent $$ doing what I do....but because of the future and not knowing what will be there when I retire I decided to take a $22K pay cut and take a job with the County...this way when I retire from here in 30 years I get full MEDS and 85% of my wages....

So do your home work....u will be amazed what you can find....

I just wish that I would have followed my GUT 4 years ago with a little company called VMWARE....shares where $0.08 and I was so close to buying $1000 worth of shares...........and now look at them $70 a share and it has spilt 3 times.....I would have been sitting on like 800K !

Oki

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »
I'll be putting what I can into my 401k once my employment becomes official (I'm temp to hire. My start date as an "official" employee is the 2nd). I'm still 24 so I have a little more time to save up but I want to be able to put money away for retirement AND still have some money to be able to play while I'm still young too... My company matches 0.50 to every dollar I put in up to 6% of my salary, but I'm not sure what the interest is yet. But they've also got a pension plan which I think is 7% of my salary that is vested after a year of employment... Hoping Dennis doesn't have to be stationed somewhere out of SD County because I don't want to leave this place!!!