Author Topic: CA motorcycle FAQ  (Read 1636 times)

ice

• MSR Council
  • MSR Members
  • Test Group
CA motorcycle FAQ
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
I went to the site for Helmets posted by SirHitmanG and looked at CA's laws....some good info to know so that you dont get fucked with by the popo

Safety Helmet Required by law
State Funded Rider Ed Available for all eligible applicants - required under age 21
Eye Protection Not Required  
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law-modulating headlight permitted, required for vehicles manufactured during or after 1978

Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers Single earphone only
Periodic Safety Inspection Required by law - random
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law  
Radar Detector No Restriction  
Turn Signals Required by law
Muffler Muffler required. No muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device (27150. Adequate Muffler Required).  

Maximum Sound Level Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 ft from center lane of travel:1)Pre-1970..92dba; 2) After 1969, and before 1973...88dba; 3) After 1972, and before 1975...86dba; 4) After 1974, and before 1986...83dba; 5) After 1985...80dba (27201-27202. Motorcycle Limits).  

State Insurance Requirements Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(15/30/5) - Financial responsibility requried. A driver involved in an accident who fails to prove existence of financial responsibility at time of accident shall have driver's license suspended for 1 year.
Handlebar Height A person shall not drive a two-wheel motorcycle that is equipped with handlebars so positioned that the hands of the driver, when upon the grips, are more than six inches above his or her shoulder height when sitting astride the seat.  

Earplugs No Restriction.
Rider-Education Waiver Skill Test  
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes
Accept RiderEd Completion Card From Other States No

Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes
Lane Splitting Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

Lemon Law Coverage Yes; California Civil Code 1793.22(9)(e)(2)

The ones marked in Yellow are the ones I hear about riders getting fook'd with....so here is is...you can have a 1 earphone in.....but there is no earplug restrictions > WTF is that...but good to know.....also the exhaust is measured from the center lane of travel...so if you get pulled over....the ticket has to say that you were in the center lane of travel when they pulled you over for loud exhaust...if it doesn't say that and there are more them 2 lanes in the direction you are traveling then you can get out of the ticket.....

Dark Cloud

• MSR Members
CA motorcycle FAQ
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »
Good looking out ICE!
"Ur the 1 who's always lonely & Eye'm the 1 who's always alone"
"2 live is 2 suffer, 2 survive is 2 find meaning within the suffering"
"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars": Kahlil Gibran
Ex obscurum EGO supervenio , ut obscurum EGO

Anonymous

CA motorcycle FAQ
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
Thanks>As always great info...

Dennis

• MSR Members
  • MALO MORI QUAM FOEDARI
CA motorcycle FAQ
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:42:18 AM »
dont they actually have to measure the sound of your exhaust to give you a ticket for it? i know they dont have calibrated ears.
Mayhem Streetriders repping since 2004
E Pluribus Unum
MALO MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!

ice

• MSR Council
  • MSR Members
  • Test Group
CA motorcycle FAQ
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »
Quote from: "Dennis";p="18419"
dont they actually have to measure the sound of your exhaust to give you a ticket for it? i know they dont have calibrated ears.

LOL

but knowing the info above its your LOOP HOLE and way out...most ppl are dumb when it comes to the LAW and just except what is given to them....if you challenage the law and look at the details u can get out of certain things with the details that are stated...

example....if u are in the slow lane going 30 mph and the cop pulls u over to give u a ticket for ur exhaust...fight it with the details above....he wasnt 50 ft away

also...i need to find the website post of San Francisco cop putting loud pipes on their HD's because it makes them more "SEEN" and Heard in traffic....they quoted a cop saying LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Big Scoop (The Enforcer)

• SENIOR MEMBER OF THE "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ACADEMY"
  • MSR Members
CA motorcycle FAQ
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:14:50 PM »
Good shit homie........................
CONSIDER IT A BLESSING IF YOU GET TO STAND NEXT TO ME.